Makes approximately 10 dozen
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
Lime zest of two limes
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and about 1/3 of the confectioner's sugar until fluffy.
2. Add the lime juice, zest, and vanilla extract and beat until fluffy again.
3. In a seperate bowl, whisk the flour and cornstarch together then add to the butter mixture. Beat on low speed until combined.
4. Seperate the dough in equal halves and roll out into a large piece of parchment paper until you have two 1 inch diameter logs. Chill logs for an hour.
5. Heat oven to 350. Remove parchment paper from logs and slice into 1/8 inch thick rounds. Place cookies on baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart.
6. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until almost golden brown. Allow cookies to cool 10 minutes but you still want them slightly warm. Place the remaining confectioners sugar in a plastic bag and toss about 4-6 cookies at a time in the bag until they are coated in sugar.
Store the cookies in an air tight bag or other container. You can freeze any remaining dough. These go really great with masala chai tea or an herbal green tea! Do you have any ideas as to a substitute for lime? Maybe something that isn't even a fruit juice but would maintain the consistency of these melt in your mouth cookies!
"Num, num, num, COOKIES!"